Tuesday, July 04, 2006

about feminism and mothering

i've been working on part of my thesis this summer, and this is a section i am *mostly* done with, though it has errors, needs citations, etc.

any comments are welcome...that's why i am posting it here. i know a lot of smart mamas online (sadly, this isn't true in my department...so i need this supplemental perspective!)

this starts at the end of one section that explains the significance of understanding the demographics, attitudes, and practices of those who practice attachment parenting...this is where i talk about another aim of this research--to give voice to the growing number of women who feel that motherhood is an empowering, meaningful type of work and are frustrated by liberal feminism's framing of motherhood as an oppressive, overwhelmingly negative experience.

edited october 3, 2006:
i'm all done with the paper now and got a hard-won A for both the class and the paper. if you're consumed with curiousity about my ongoing research/thesis on AP mamas, feminism, power, and agency, let me know.

2 comments:

Rosemary said...

I don't think it's boring at all, Joy. You make a very good point. As a stay-at-home mom for the last 22 years I must say that I do feel rather ignored by the culture we live in. Fortunately, I don't care about what the culture thinks of the choice I have made, I have many devoted at-home mothering friends who make up my social community and we're all too busy raising and loving our kids to give much thought to what little regard the culture has for us. But why are we disdained so. Is it all about the lack of earning power or is it a disrespect for children? Maybe pure selfishness on the part of those who don't want to sacrifice for others? Best of luck on this thesis!

Jo said...

Thank you for sharing this and definately not boring. I am constantly astounded at your level of intelligence, instinct, and insight into other people. You are definately one of the rare ones lady which is a very very good thing and means you are absolutely wonderful.