Sunday, October 15, 2006

a time to wean

i nursed rowan for 3 years, 364 days, and 15 hours, and it's over.

she nursed for the last time as i laid down with her the night before her fourth birthday. we had been planning this weaning for a while, and i had my fingers crossed that everything would go smoothly. what i wanted was an agreement between her and me--not a coerced weaning. so far, there have been no tears. for that i am so grateful.

it's been this way with both my kids now--jackson nursed for a couple moths past four, and weaned with no fanfare. i didn't even note his last time at the breast, and that was one reason i wanted to celebrate and document this milestone with rowan.





some pics from our last nursing. i told her how happy
i was and how grateful too to have mothered her and nursed her as a baby and toddler, and how excited i am to get to enjoy watching her growing into a little girl.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tears came as I remembered breastfeeding as one of life's best experiences, one that I can only now live vicariously through my daughter and grandson Matteo who looks exactly like she did.

Anonymous said...

I know that this is an old post, but how beautiful. I nursed both of my daughters into the 5s and my son is going strong at 2... i remember the last nursing of both the girls and hope to do the same for my little man.

You brought tears to my eyes. Absolutely Beautiful.