Friday, February 22, 2008

gratitude #7--catching fireflies and the act of creation

there is something so satisfying about learning, and having success at, a new skill. i can really sense my homo habilis roots when i'm taking on a new craft and it actually comes out well. i've dyed my fifth skein of yarn, another big licorice twist one, and i'm finally feeling like it's good enough to sell. :squeee:

this one is "catching fireflies"--it's dyed in the inky deep blue and the silvery blue of the night sky, just past twilight when the other colors recede--which is when the fireflies come out! there's the light and dark greens of the backyards and fields i ran in as a child with my little jar, holes carefully poked in the lid, and of course the flare orange glow of the the little creatures' beacons. i adored catching fireflies and i swear, there is something about learning a new craft that makes me feel just as inspired, as happy--as grateful. because it is somehow the same--the desire to capture something shiny, something difficult to hold. a new ability, particularly one that feeds your soul and looks pretty, is like that moment --AHA! I GOT IT!--when you manage to keep still for a moment something fragile and fleeting. like the fireflies i caught as a child, my creations are especially precious to me, because--not in spite of--the fact that after i admire them, briefly, i let them go.

as a work at home mom, i've let thousands of colorful creatures out of my hands and into the lives' of others. that's what makes dyeing yarn like this such a delight--it's a lovely, ephemeral thing flying through my life, but it's going to make someone else very very happy. i'm grateful to be able to turn curiosity and a love for color and a desire to learn and do new things into that kind of happiness in others' hands.

9 comments:

jami and chuck said...

that is a really beautiful description! and that yarn!! wow!! once again i have found a reason to finally learn to knit! i do have a mason jar full of bamboo needles, i guess waiting for the perfect yarn! (i think i found it...)

Meg said...

omgawd..I want that yarn so bad!!
Creating rocks!

Norm Deplume said...

I recall working in a regular job, and often wishing that I had the time and ability to be creative. It's like a piece of my brain was sitting idle, and would periodically poke at me and holler for me to create something. Being able to start something and bring art and color and fun into the is truly a gift from the Universe.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful yarn! You know, when we were little, my brothers would catch fireflies and smoosh their light-up bits onto my fingers for rings. I still love sparkle, but I don't smoosh lightening bugs anymore. :-)

Mama Sarita said...

that yarn is so yummy!! What a vivid description of the creative process!

Jennifer said...

Beautiful! I envy your creativity.

lemonsong said...

How beautiful. Your words and your work. Create art seems so delicate to me. A piece of the artist goes with each thing created.

Esmerelda said...

Joy, your yarn is gorgeous! Your words are equally inspiring.

Growing in the Green said...

That is freakin Gorgeous!