Monday, February 18, 2008

a real studio--gratitude #5

ever since we've been making a living by our wits (i.e. running a work at home dyeing business) i've envied the studios of other artists in the wah biz world. i saw pictures of joyce/elliebelly's studio and shed real tears about a year ago. i must admit that was a bit melodramatic, but at the time i was feeling especially like we were a ragtag, by-the-skin-our-teeth operation--dh was making stained glass in a corner of the attic that was inhospitably intemperate for five months of the year, and i was dyeing on a spot on the kitchen floor near the back door, between the washing machine and the dinner table and the door to our bedroom. every time a child or the dog needed to go in or outdoors, or someone needed to go in our room, they had to catapult across my mess , and many many bottles of dye were upturned in the process. then i was processing the tie dye in the kitchen sink, which meant moving dirty dishes at the worst of times and forcing food prep to wait on me at the best of times. feeling the depth of the envy i might have for something like this yet?

but that's all behind me now. i am the proud owner--ok renter--of a space that is well-lit, warm, and keeps everything in one place... namely, and most importantly, out of my home proper! our studio is in our building, so we can work while the kids are upstairs without worrying too much, and i must admit that when i go down there i feel like i am leaving the shackles of house-drudgery behind and putting on the gossamer wings of an artist. and it makes me so happy to see dh working on...let's see...either five or six different projects here with glass. the white squares on the big table are glass, and have lights below--so we can put a piece together flat and see how it will look with light coming through. very cool!

the right space can make a huge difference in one's productivity. come to think of it, that's what i'm trying to accomplish with this gratitude exercise over 30 days--get my head right about realizing how lucky i am, an effort i hope will have a real benefit in my life. but even if that doesn't happen, i still have this great studio. i'm not going back to the kitchen floor for anything.

oh, and in case you are wondering--the poster on the wall is inspirational in nature. it's ani difranco, and the text says "up up up goes the spire of the steeple/but god's work isn't done by god, it's done by people". it reminds me that the more i whine and bitch and envy, the less i accomplish--and there is so very much to do in this world.

7 comments:

lemonsong said...

The right tools and the right space make all the difference. Your work has always been amazing and beautiful, I'm glad you have a space to create more of it.

Jennifer said...

I am glad you have found a creative space...and I LOVE ani difranco!

Norm Deplume said...

Joyce's craft room gets me all jealous, and I am not even that crafty! I am so happy that you are able to create in a truly good space. Now I just need to get you to put your stuff into a few fancy boutiques so you can sell them for what they are truly worth.

Mama Sarita said...

I so understand having the right space to work in. I spent years making do with so-so massage environments. I feel so much more present and creative in my massage office.

I love this quote from your post: must admit that when i go down there i feel like i am leaving the shackles of house-drudgery behind and putting on the gossamer wings of an artist.

jami and chuck said...

awww...perfect!! ani is always a nice touch in my eyes! by the way, i just have a little kitchen nook with stained plaid wallpaper! sometimes if i call it vintage and look at it through squinted eyes, i feel a bit more blessed! i am loving that you are writing so much lately! it is nice to hear your thoughts again!

Meg said...

It is so great to have a space to do the things that you love..I know I love it when I have total peace from the chaos of life to knit or sew or whatever is holding my creative fancy!

Unknown said...

i;m still trying to work out what is my "space" here, after being able to work outside almost all year, its a bit different here lol'
your spcae is dreamy!