Sunday, September 04, 2005

about us

my kids are the biggest source of jubilation in my life. i am without a doubt 100% improved as a person for allowing motherhood to consume me for a few years with each child. i consider it as having bestowed on me an advanced degree in humanity. i am more sensitive, less selfish, kinder, and more intuitive for having done so. mothering has been the hardest and the best thing i have ever done. the knowledge that one is helping stweard a child into becoming a loving and well-loved adult who has been treated with generosity, respectfulness, and compassion (and can therefore treat others in those ways) is a real trip. marx's idea of the perfectly fulfilling, elusive "creative work" doesn't even come close to describing it.


here's jack, who is
11. he knows more about entomology (the study of insects and their intricacies) than some adults charged with teaching about insects i have known. he needs to get sweaty and work like an ox a few times a week or he gets cranky and surly. he has a natural wit and humor that surprises me sometimes in its sharpness. he and i grew up together in many ways and he taught me how to be a good mother. even when he is an ass i see the qualities (stubborness, self-confidence, ingenuity, curiousity, perseverance) that will serve him well in a pinch as an adult.

rowan is almost three. she is so much fun to be with. here she and i are "getting married". she is fascinated with ritual and order and harmony
, and she has working plans for not only her upcoming birthday party but also her upcoming weaning party and a few other fiestas she wants us to have. she wants to know the right way to do things and she has a strong desire to make things better in her immediate environment. this makes her a desirable helper and an easy compatriot in most things we do as a family. she absolutely loves going to famer's markets and other events where we hawk our wares because it gives her a chance to socialize and dress up. i delivered her myself in a birth pool in our bedroom and i am crazy in love with her.

my husband latt is my best friend and a fabulous cook. he fixes me coffee at least once a day while i work at the computer and in my mind that's about as perfect as you can get. i'm wild about him and still not sick of being with him most of the time even after we've been working together in our stay at home business for a few years now. he also has great hair, an infectious laugh, skills too varied and exotic to explicate upon here, and impeccable taste in poetry and clothes...and none of that hurts his official status as best boyfriend ever.




and finally, here's me with some of our hand-dyed work on me and behind me. i'm a freak for color and symmetry and tie-dyeing, particularly now that we are dyeing silks and cotton with the mandala pattern, is great fun and some kind of therapy for me.

No comments: